Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Rockin' the Bump!

As Dirk and I were watching the Oscars Sunday night, I couldn't help but notice the beautiful bumps draped in Oscar gowns. To see these expecting moms in their elegant evening wear was a little more meaningful this year. It seems like every morning I have struggled with what to wear that will not make me look like a have a huge balloon stuffed under my shirt. I couldn't imagine the stress of having to find a gown that I'd wear down a red carpet in front of hundreds of photographers; not to mention millions of viewers on live tv. But none of them appeared even the least bit self conscious.

Olivia Wilde looked so so gorgeous, and from certain angles you can barely tell she's pregnant - mostly from behind- ha! I have always thought she was beautiful, but she appeared even more so with her glowing complexion. It almost makes me wish I had somewhere I needed to wear a gown to before June 13th. The high neck and revealed arms make this dress sexy. What you can't see in this photo is that it has a white stripe that runs down the back stretching wider as it reaches toward the hem of her dress. Another fabulous part of this dress, it has pockets. If I were wearing this dress, I'd hide enough chocolate to get me through the evening.

 
I started searching best dressed pregnant women on the red carpet for more inspiration, and I found this stunner on Selma Blair. It wasn't at the Oscars, but worn to the Grammy's earlier this year. She's always been very slender, but the way this gown hugs all her curves is perfect. The proportions are just so right. The silky skirt looks extremely comfortable. I wish I had a blanket made out of that material. It's a Lanvin gown so I'm positive it would be completely out of my price range. Selma looks radiant and so well put together in it. Not just put together, but cool, collected, and proud. As if she's saying, Yes, I'm pregnant and still beautiful.
These women encourage me to emanate the same sense of confidence and joy when I'm out and about with my growing bump! It's not that I'm not happy to have a growing bump. I certainly am, but as I'm entering the third trimester in a little more than a week, I am more aware that it is quite apparent that I am pregnant. Some people I can tell are apprehensive to say anything about it. I love reassuring them, Yes, I am expecting. I love how it sparks conversation with strangers. My doctor says something about being pregnant makes you public domain, where people feel they can comment on your pregnancy and yes, even reach out to feel your bump. And that makes me a little nervous. "Am I getting too big?" I think. "Am I not big enough?" "Will I have to resort to wearing bedsheets as togas in June if nothing fits?" "What if Dakota is too small or too big?" These thoughts can be overwhelming.
 
Despite not knowing these answers, I will remain calm. After all I am still very comfortable right now. Even if I have to roll a little more slowly out of bed and can't start the day without a few hip rolls, I do feel great. The moments when I feel Dakota give a little high five to my stomach, or drum out a beat with her feet inside of me, I remember- oh yeah, there's a baby inside me that is alive and kicking. This is not just a journey for Dirk and I- it's hers too!
 
Speaking of babies, Jeff and I got to meet baby Jonah a week ago when Amber and Joe came to Austin. I couldn't believe only 3 weeks ago she had been carrying him inside her. And here he is now! Like magic, Amber has already lost her baby bump and acquired so many new Mommy skills. It was encouraging to see how she had learned how to calm Jonah, feed Jonah, and knows him so well already! While Amber and I got to catch up and cheers her first born baby boy, he was busy showing off his amazing little hands and feet and how he could stretch them out so far. His beautiful eyes would focus on things around the room. He is such a quiet, inquisitive, handsome trooper. Dakota is going to love him too. I am soo excited for them to meet.
 
I officially have only 100 days left now until my due date- Crazy! Here's the last picture that we've taken at 24 weeks. Imagine me on the red carpet in a beautiful bright canary yellow Calvin Klein gown with a sweetheart neckline and loose flowly skirt. Just don't forget the pockets with the chocolates too.
 
 
 
 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Love this one, Lindsay! I enjoyed watching all the Oscar 'mommies' too--Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars and Frozen) just had a baby and she looked amazing in her lavender gown. Don't worry--I was little like you and had a big baby (Eric was 8lbs 1 oz). Youll do fine and can get the weight off--it's only at my age that it hangs on!

    ReplyDelete