Sunday, February 15, 2015

Junebug experiences Pura Vida.

For our first family vacation, Dirk and I brought Dakota with us to Costa Rica to see our friends Courtney and Ian get married. It was a trip with a lot of firsts. Dakota's first passport to start with, followed by her first flight, first taxi cab ride without a carseat (Mom was a wee bit nervous), and first view of the beach. It was also our first time to stuff our backpacks with as many diapers as we could cram in and hope it was enough.



We had such a good time, and I couldn't help but think I must have the best traveling baby in the world. She didn't make a peep on take-off, landing, or at any point in between, and slept through more than half of the flight. She was full of smiles for complete strangers. Costa Ricans kept telling us, "Que linda"! While I had been so nervous to take her out of the country, it could not have gone any smoother. 



Still, traveling with her was not the same as Dirk and I's usual adventures outside of the country. We declined the zip-lining, booze cruise, and ATV tours. We did have fun at the beach and at Manuel Antonio Park. Dirk kept her in the Jeep carrier while we walked no less than 1,000 stairs around the humid jungle. More humid than Houston! It was fun exploring, and we saw tons of monkeys, who had learned how to open Tupperware and extract watermelon, raccoons playing leap frog on a log, a deer, and two beautiful beaches flanked by the rainforest. I had been here almost ten years ago and it was insane to see how much the place had changed. There was no longer an entrance on the beach. The park now had a latticed four-story lookout where you could see the top of the rainforest. And the park actually closed because it was close to capacity. It had not been that crowded the last time I came. I've changed too since I've been. New job to begin with. A husband and a daughter too. I loved that I got to share this awesome park with them! I did the same trail I had done before, Cathedral Point. The trail that is almost entirely stairs (up and down), but it offers such amazing views that I would do it even if their were 5,000 stairs.










The wedding was stunning too- set at Punto de Vista, a home that had 5 floors overlooking the Pacific beach and Manuel Antonio. Courtney was a very pretty bride and I was so glad we were able to share in her and Ian's special day. Dakota was the cutest baby there! (ok, she was the only baby there).





Our last day in Manuel Antonio we spent the day at the beach. The previous morning we had introduced Dakota to the beach. She seemed mesmerized by the water, and also scared of the waves. One of my favorite pictures from the whole trip is the one of Daddy showing her the Pacific ocean. I had to laugh because for Dirk and I, Galveston was our first real introduction to the beach. We may be spoiling her already. 



     


We also enjoyed lounging around Punta de Vista with friends. The weekend before we were there, rumor had it that Ludacris had rented out the house. The meals we ate there were delicious. Courtney had chosen Thai food for their wedding banquet, and it was zoo flavorful. We had fun hanging out Lindsey and Teddy too! Their wedding will be here before I know it.

The house was architecturally the most fascinating home I have ever been in. We saw two Toucans flying from tree to tree while having breakfast one morning. The coolest part of the house was that it had glass walls so that you could see into the jungle from almost any point of the house. It also had an affinity pool - and a Pack and Play for Dakota. The owners thought of everything.




To get back to San Jose, we chose to fly back instead of take the bus in. The traffic headed to Manuel Antonio had helped us make that decision. The plane ride was 20 minutes verses 4 hours of being in a van. When we bought the tickets, I forgot how small the plane was, but once we got to the airport, I quickly found myself remembering. We had to be weighed (Dakota included) before we could board. 

The runway seemed to run straight into the jungle. It also didn't help that people had seemed to congregate on the nearby road. I usually do not get nervous for flights. Upon boarding this 14-seater, single engine plane, I immediately began saying a prayer that this flight would be smooth and land safely. Dirk was gripping the seat ahead of him, turning pale. I tried to focus on the palm trees lining the ground below were breathtaking, like green starbursts perfectly aligned row after row. I couldn't help but think though, what if. I was counting down each minute. It was the first time I thought I could have put Dakota in danger, and I regretted the decision to fly. I later found out the highway we had driven in on was actually one of the more dangerous highways in the world. I'm so glad we made it to San Jose all in one piece.






Dirk and I did get to have two dinners to ourselves. We brought the baby monitor and ate at the hotel restaurant, less than 50 feet away from our room. It was nice to enjoy his company, and not worry about what Dakota was going to grab off the table. Both dinners were are at the Trapp Family Inn, which was conveniently located near the airport. 


One of the reasons I love Costa Rica is because I believe the surroundings of this amazingly scenic country have made it's people beautiful. They live by the mantra Pura Vide, pure life. It's meaning is more comparable to Live life to the fullest. I am so glad we got to make Costa Rica our first family vacation, and I will strive to remember Pura Vida back home in Texas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment