Sunday, November 1, 2015

A Joyous Fall


If you can't tell from this picture, we have been enjoying our fall so much! Dakota enjoyed her second ACL, and she is such a people magnet. We had a crowd of people cheering "Dakota Ryan" when Daddy held her up for this picture. Walk the Moon is playing in the background, which is the reason for the large crowd. We spent more time chasing her around Zilker Park this year and more time in the Kiddie Limits section, but loved it, even if we didn't get to see as many bands.


In September, we had a fun Port Aransas vacation to celebrate T-Paw's and Auntie Deneé's birthdays. Can you tell how much Dakota loved the beach? She wanted to run along the beach in the sand all morning. I think her favorite part was destroying the amazing sand castles Ne-neé and I and Dirk had built. She loved the sea gulls too. The water was fun, but she wasn't sure about the waves.  It was great to spend time with Mimi and T-Paw and enjoy the beach life. We went on a dolphin watching tour, and saw lots of dolphins in the bay! At the end of the tour, the captain even let Dakota "drive" the boat. Luckily, we did not capsize.


One of Dakota's favorite new hobbies is spending time at the Little Gym on Saturdays. We're in a gym class that helps toddlers with movement. She's already learned how to do a forward roll, and loves running in circles on the red mat. She has been working hard to learn how to jump. She'll bend her knees and pop up, even though her feet never leave the ground! I know she'll have it down soon. 

The class ends with bubbles, and she tries to pop the bubbles with the other toddlers in her class. Last weekend, we were working on all kinds of rotation, and she learned how to spin in a circle. This entire weekend she's been spinning around and around and will get super dizzy. I'm not sure if Dirk and I enjoy this class more or if she does. It also helps that she gets to release some energy here, instead of bouncing all over the couch at home. 


We've been to visit friends and family in Houston several times. I love this picture because it's with one of my oldest friends on Earth, Katy Walden Preisler, and also because it shows Dakota with this almost always super happy baby George. Although he's as big as Dakota in this picture, he is actually 6 months younger. I don't think there is anything more enjoyable than getting to share the Mom journey with your best friends- the funny, you won't believe this stories and the "I need wine" rants. We spent time at my Grandmommy and Granddad's house on another trip to Alvin.  "Gigi" just loves to see Dakota and always has toys. On our latest trip, the shopping cart was a huge hit! She pushed it through the backyard even.

                 

I used to believe the role of the parent existed to benefit the child. These past few weeks have led me to see a completely different view. I am tested with patience almost daily, yet experiencing joy on a whole new level. It makes me understand how other Moms and Dads say, "It's the hardest, yet most rewarding thing you will ever do." That's the only way I can describe it now too. It's exhausting, trying, but simply the most fulfilling work. I know it will get harder, but I am savoring this time in her life. At night, I've been rocking her to sleep, and to hear the rhythm of her breathing and the weight of her head on my shoulder I am overwhelmed with the love I am have for this tiny being and the blessing of life. I continue to be thankful and grateful for her.


Even though I am cheesing way hard in this picture, I love that I got to take 10 minutes out of my work day to come visit the pumpkin patch with Dakota. She lit up when she saw me, and it just made my day! I can't believe how much she has grown since the last time we came to the pumpkin patch. She was only 4 months old, and could barely sit on her own, without rolling over. This year she was picking up the little pumpkins carrying them all over! And she can even say pumpkin. It's hard to imagine what she will be doing at the pumpkin patch next year, but I am focusing on the here and now and enjoying every second we get together!!      

              

No comments:

Post a Comment