Sunday, December 20, 2015

Hark the Herald Angels Sing!


Advent season is here and it's hard to escape the anticipation of this time of year! Especially when you have an 18 month old starting to sing the Christmas songs. She has learned the traditional ones like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "Frosty the Snowman" and "Jingle Bells." Getting to teach Dakota what Christmas is really about is very important to me.  This morning, she kept making hand signals as if she were cradling a baby and rocking back and forth as we were singing songs. It dawned on me she wanted to sing "Away in a Manger." I was overwhelmed when we started to sing the song, and she began the hand motions of cradling a baby, and looking up at the stars and pointing at them, which she must have learned at daycare. In time, I will be able to tell her more of the true origins of Christmas, but getting to share about a baby Jesus away in a Manger warmed my heart.



One thing Dakota will be getting for Christmas (somewhat delayed) is a little brother! We've been sharing the news and are expecting Dirk Austin in May of 2016. I can't imagine being a mom of 2, because it seems as though Dakota has been the center of our world for the past year and a half. When I discovered I was pregnant again though, a whole new realm of joy started to unfold, feeling as though my heart was doubling. I am so thankful to be carrying this baby, and at 20 weeks, feel about as large as I was at Month 7 with Dakota. Despite feeling humongous, I am eager to start feeling those baby kicks again! 


We are loving going to the parks in our neighborhood, and especially love meeting up with our friends June and Bea. Dakota can now go down the slides on her own on the smaller playground sets, without giving Mom a heart attack. Are these three not adorable together? To see them running around and climbing stairs together is the most precious sight. Last night, we checked out a Christmas light show at Mozart's coffee house with June and Bea. I couldn't tell if Dakota was impressed or just confused why so many people had gathered in one spot!


This is our adorable elf in action. Cali Gaga sent her these pajamas and the apron, and I can't stand how cute she looks in it. Dirk calls her the "Elf on the Shelf" when she wears this. Our little Elf is learning so many words, her favorites right now being Elmo, Baby, Cookie, Up (to get out of her walker or crib), Poo poo, Boppy (Bubble Guppy cartoon word she's created), Eat, and Help- said like Halp. I also giggle when she says, "Opetit," which is her way of saying Open it, either the pantry or fridge.

We've had fun getting to share some of our favorite Christmas events with Dakota. She got to hang ornaments with Nana on the Christmas tree. She loved that Nana left some in a basket under the tree that she could put anywhere she wanted on the tree. We also took a special trip with Mimi and Tpaw to pick out our own Christmas tree. Not as easy task, but we had so much fun I hope we get to do it again next year. She also loved the lights at Trail of Lights again this year. This seems to be our favorite family tradition in Austin so far!

Meeting Santa was a little more difficult this year, as she did not want to be left on a stranger's lap. I love the look on Santa's face though, and think that next year we'll get something closer to a smile…. maybe.














Before the chaos of Christmas came, Dirk and I got to spend some time relaxing in Aruba, a beautiful Dutch island in the Caribbean. We stayed at an all-inclusive and tried to catch up on the hours of sleep we'd been missing! It was nice to enjoy time to ourselves and hang out with some I Heart friends, Shanda and Justin and Leah and Dusty. My favorite adventure was snorkeling a shipwreck and holding hands with Dirk as we explored the fish and coral reef surrounding the shipwreck. You can see just how prego I am here- and the gorgeous view from our balcony! 





Another highlight from the past month was attending the Longhorn football game as a family on Thanksgiving Day. I can't describe how proud I felt to bring Dakota- not only to this stadium, but to the campus. I hope we get to return and she sees our love for this University. It rained pretty hard so we didn't stay long, but these seats were so incredible. She doesn't have to be a Longhorn, but I want her to know the value of a college education and the passion I have felt for college football. Truly, a night we will remember!!! 



With only 4 days left til Christmas, I am so ready to see family and share the joy of Christmas with everyone! It has been such a wonderful year and I can't even begin to imagine how amazing 2016 is going to be! The advent calendar listed Psalm 150 as our verse today- a song about praising the Lord, which is so fitting since we have so much to praise Him for!

No comments:

Post a Comment