Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Dog Days of Summer




The Texas summer heat is always brutal. But what's been more difficult these past two months is constantly thinking of ways to keep Dakota and Noodle, and Dirk and I entertained with the triple digit heat outdoors. We have gone to more Austin festivals than ever before (Bubblepalooza anyone?), visited every indoor bounce house within 30 miles of our home, and even drove to New Braunfels to hang out at the river with my friend Amber and her two kids. Four kids two and under in one place kept both of our hands full- too full for a wine glass!

                 

 





We've made our own fun at home- water park days, Dakota's Jeep treks, geocaching in triple digit heat. When I look back on these days, I'll smile at the memories we made, despite minor mishaps that seemed like major inconveniences at the time. It never fails that we'll forget either Baby Dirk's or Dakotas' diapers...or my favorite the car seat adapter for the stroller. Dirk's genius fix- using his tie down strap to wrap around the stroller and hold the car seat down. No matter what curve balls are thrown at us, we've been able to adapt. If anything has been apparent this summer, it's that the more flexible we can be, the more smoothly things will turn out. When we tried to go see Finding Dory a few weekends ago, and had bought tickets and were walking in the theater, Dirk was told children 6 and under were not allowed.....wah was waaaaaaaaaaah. Instead of getting too bent out of shape about it, I told Dirk we'd get some movie popcorn and have our own movie night at home. The manager actually offered to pay for our popcorn, and we made a huge movie mat (a blow up mattress) and watched Finding Nemo. Dakota probably had even more fun because she could put all her stuffed animals on the movie mat!


Baby Dirk has been so sweet and unbelievably chill. He cries like any baby does, but I can't believe how good natured he is! I honestly feel like he is the easiest 3 month old. When he gets upset, he can be pretty easily calmed. He smiles so big, and coos and baby talks. I can sit him in his baby swing and he'll nibble on his hands, drooling. Even Noodle can lick his head and cheeks, and Baby Dirk just goes with it. 

I worry when I go back to work he will not be as malleable for the nursery as he is for me. I am going to focus on cherishing him, and enveloping him with my love this last week before he starts with Dakota in daycare. I want him to know how perfectly he fits in our family. When I talk to him, I try to tell him how special he is! 







So I don't forget, I took a picture of what maternity leave looked like...




A beautiful mess!


No comments:

Post a Comment